01 Mar Eight health tips for men
Men, take charge of your health — and sooner than later. Many men are concerned with their health when it comes to matters below the waist, sometimes unaware there are just as many health priorities above the waist too — many in fact, that play a role down below. Finally (and it’s about time) guys are talking about their physical health and their mental health, more openly with their friends and colleagues, partners and spouses, and their doctors. At DeerFields, rest assured that our health and medical team are the open and easy-to-talk-to type. There’s nothing you can’t speak openly to our team about. In fact, we want to know.
If you’re a man — and whether you’re 30 or 80, there are many things you can do to boost your health. Here are eight you can start today.
- Get an MD and see him or her. Find someone you feel comfortable talking to about anything and everything – stress, chest pain, aches and pains, sexual function, your mental health, bowel function…. yes, even that. Maybe in your case, especially that.
- Become informed. Become familiar with your family history and what your genes might predispose you to. Our team can help you mitigate some of the risk for disease that can be inherited. Rather than waiting and worrying, be proactive. There are many lifestyle changes you can make to help offset risk.
- Boost your nutrition, not necessarily your calories. Eat to perform. Eat to thrive. Eat to survive. Focus on nutrients and making smart choices every day, not just once in a while between burgers and fries.
- Get some sleep — at least seven hours a night.
- Pay attention to and take care of your mental health. Drinking too much and too often? Depressed? Worried? Not sleeping? These are all signs that your mental health may need some attention and there’s no shame in speaking up and getting some support.
- Maintain your sexual health… or improve it. Getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, staying active, these are some of the best ways to maintain your sexual ability and interest, especially as you age.
- Take care of your prostate. As you age, your prostate grows. A healthy, low-fat diet can reduce the likelihood of prostate growth and even cancer.
- Consider Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). So many men are optimizing and maintaining their health through bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. It can help you maintain your youthful vigor, perform better, and feel your best. We offer an online TRT program for men. Learn more.
At DeerFields, we offer both virtual and in-person care by an experienced professional team. Learn more on our website or book your Comprehensive Health Evaluation – the most comprehensive medical exam available in Canada.