03 Dec Make it an active holiday season
The holiday season is a time where fun and festivities usually come with too much food and drink, and too little exercise. With much of December spent meeting deadlines at work, holiday shopping, attending school concerts and other festive functions, and visiting with friends and relatives, it’s no wonder waistlines expand and New Year’s resolutions get firmed up.
Why not make this the year you do things a little differently? Today I’m sharing six tips to help you and your family make this holiday season a little more active:
- Schedule time to be active, just as you would any important meeting or gathering. Even if all you can find is 15 minutes, grab it!
- Exercise is one of the best things for you… especially at this hectic time of year. It can help you relax and manage stress, control your weight, and give you more energy.
- Turn holiday shopping into a workout. Walk or bike to the mall; take stairs instead of escalators; and if you’re starting your shopping early it the day, arrive at the mall 30 minutes before it opens and power walk before the crowds arrive.
- Treat Fido to some extra walks… and treat yourself too. When I need a break from ‘holiday hoop-la, I leash up my dog and head outdoors for a brisk walk in nature. I often refer to it as nature-therapy or vitamin “N”, and it always does me the world of good.
- Enjoy outdoor fun with family and friends. Whether it’s an outing to a Christmas tree farm, a day of skiing, or an evening on the toboggan hill, active outdoor fun will make everyone happier and healthier.
- Limit screen time. If you knew Canadian kids spent more time front of screens each week than their parents spend at work, would that change habits at your home? Try swapping screen time for ice skating, a neighbourhood walk to view festive lights, or a wintry hike.