01 Feb 5 healthy ways to conquer stress
Stress can affect our bodies, thoughts, feelings and behavior. Being able to recognize the symptoms can help us manage them. In fact, if you are struggling or unable to manage them, it’s wise to talk to your doctor — prolonged stress can contribute to many health problems.
Stress affects our bodies in many ways. Many people suffering from stress experience:
- Muscle tension
- Trouble sleeping
- Chest pain
- Change in sex drive
- Upset Stomach
Stress can also affect our mental health in the following ways:
- Inability to focus
- Feeling “blue” or depressed
When stress affects behaviour , it’s not uncommon to:
- Overeat or undereat
- Withdraw socially
Recognizing the symptoms of stress is an important first step. The next step is learning to prevent and manage it. Try these five stress management strategies:
- Get moving! Physical activity is a proven stress buster. Go for a walk or run; tidy your home; join a gym.
- Try some relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine from your diet.
- Get enough — but not too much sleep.
- Get outside. Unplug from technology and reconnect with nature instead.