05 Jan 15 easy ways to practice self care
You have to take care of yourself in order to properly take care of others… and yes, even the little things can make a big difference when it comes to self care. Don’t just take our word for it, try some or all of these tried and true strategies to show yourself a little love on a daily basis.
- Enjoy a long, hot soak in the tub or a soothing shower – Treat yourself to a daily bath or shower with subtly scented products that promote relaxation.
- Get a little extra sleep – even an extra 20-30 minutes a night or a short cat-nap can leave us feeling refreshed and better able to cope. Learn more.
- Practice mindfulness – even just 20 minutes a day can leave you feeling refreshed, present, and in control.
- Spend time in nature – spending time in nature leads to lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, lower blood pressure, and a lower pulse rate.
- Stay hydrated – Treat yourself to a new water bottle and enjoy sipping on water flavoured with citrus fruits or cucumber — or snap up a sweet little mug and make yourself a cup of calming herbal tea.
- Do a digital detox – There are health benefits to going tech-free for a portion of each day… so unplug and enjoy life in the slow lane more often.
- Spend time reading – lose yourself in a good book for a while each day — or keep your brain sharp by devoting a few minutes a day to learning a new language.
- Hug those you love – hugs offer all sorts of health benefits… so does a cuddle with a cherished dog or cat.
- Breathe deeply – meditation and mindfulness offer well-documented health benefits—including reducing anxiety and depression, according to a 2014 study in JAMA Internal Medicine.
- Learn more about conquering stress – we’ve got some simple tools that can help.
- Spend time with those you love, doing what you enjoy. A long walk with your kids; a night out with friends; a yoga class with your partner; a quiet dinner at home. Make time for the people and things in life that make you happy.
- Make time to exercise – it will boost your health and happiness. Learn more.
- Sign up for a yoga class – yoga is for every body… all ages, shapes, and sizes.
- Tear up your to-do list – and instead of doing all the things you have to do, do something you want to do.
- Ask for help. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, share your burden with someone you can trust and don’t be afraid to ask for help.